Black eyed beans are a staple for Sarakostí, the Greek fasting/lenting period that starts on Clean Monday (Greek Shrove Tuesday), these peas are the epitome of why a Vegan diet is just as nutritious as a carnivore one! If you want to follow the Greek Lent period to cleanse your body and mind, then this recipe is a must!
- TIME NEEDED
- 30 mins
- 7oz. Black eyed beans
- 4 TBSP. Gaea Ancient Greek balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fine chopped spring onions
- 1/2 cup fine chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup fine chopped coriander or parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2.3oz Gaea Green Olives Marinated with Chili & Pepper
- Gaea Fresh Extra Virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Boil the beans in a pot of salted water for about 20 minutes or until soft
- Drain and set aside to cool
- Roughly chop the olives and place in a bowl
- Add the cooled beans and the rest of the ingredients
- Generously drizzle with Gaea Fresh Extra Virgin olive oil
- Toss the salad well and serve chilled.
When boiling your peas if you want nice looking peas for serving, boil in water for 5 minutes, then replace the water and boil for another 20 minutes, this will remove the first dar water which is natural but makes the beans look purplish.