Pumpkin season is here and we are ready for it. This savory pumpkin pie quiche is the perfect way to welcome Fall. Our secret for the best savory pumpkin pie quiche is no other but a touch of Gaea Organic Extra virgin Olive Oil, of course.
- 55 mins
For the crust
1 pre-baked pie shell
1 sheet of raw flaky pie crust, to make leaf shaped decoration
- 2 ½ cups pumpkin puree (600g)
- 2 tbsp GAEA Organic Olive Oil
- 1 large shallot, finely sliced
- 1 medium leek, chopped
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- Large handful of brown button mushrooms, chopped (ca 80g / 2.8 oz) 3.2 fl oz full-fat coconut milk (100ml)
- 4 tbsp corn starch (30g)
- Salt, nutmeg, and black pepper to taste
- Vegan egg wash (3 tbsp Aquafaba combined with 2 tbsp plant milk)
methodPrepare the crust
Roll out the sheet of raw flaky pie crust. Using leaf-shaped pie crust cutters cut out leaves until no dough remains. Put the cutout leaves on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use. You can also do this the day before.
Heat GAEA organic olive oil in a pan. Once hot fry shallot until glassy, then add leek, sage, and mushrooms. Fry until fragrant, for around 5-10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pumpkin purée, coconut milk, and corn starch. Whisk until smooth. Add seasonings.
- In your 9-inch pre-baked pie shell, add fried vegetables. Then pour in pumpkin cream. Lightly stir and smooth out with a spatula. Add 3/4 of your cutout leaves onto the sides of the pie. Leave 1/4 to bake separately. Once arranged, brush with egg wash.
- Bake in your preheated oven at 180°C / 355°F. for 30 to 45 minutes. Carefully cover if the pie crust browns too much. Take out and let set for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Brush remaining 1/4 pie crust leaves with egg wash, then bake for around 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool and top quiche pie with them. Enjoy!
Sprinkle each piece with cinnamon before serving