Fennel leaves, those bright green, aromatic leaves full of flavour with a promise of spring, who would not bundle them with Spinach and roll them up in crisp, crunchy, flaky filo pastry? Combined with a superb Extra virgin olive oil, makes this Greek spinach and fennel leaves pie a statement that may need to come with a saliva running trigger warning.
- TIME NEEDED
- 60 mins
For the pastry filo:
- 750g flour
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/ 2 cup GAEA Authentic Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 shot tsipouro
For the filling:
- 300gr Spinach
- 1 bunch Fennel
- 2 bunches of herbs to your preference
- 300gr Vegan white cheese or P.D.O. Feta
- 1 cup GAEA Authentic Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the pastry filo:
- Place the flour and the salt in a large bowl and start adding the water slowly.
- Knead with your hands until the dough is smooth
- Drizzle with 1/2 the cup of Olive Oil and smear
- Let it rest for about 20 min
- Roughly chop your greens and add them to a large bowl
- Add the salt and the rest of the Olive Oil
- Crumble the white vegan cheese with your hands and mix all contents of the bowl together.
- On a large (preferably wooden) surface spread some of the flour
- Cut a third of the dough and make it a circular shape with your hand (like when you are making pizza). Then sprinkle flour over both sides.
- Roll out with a rolling pin until almost transparent and large enough to cover your baking tin
Assembling the pie
- Smear your baking pan with olive oil using a pastry brush
- Spread your first filo pastry over the baking pan tuck it in with your hands to cover all the surface and brush with Olive oil
- Add the second sheet on top doing the same as the first
- Tip the mixture in the the tin
- Fold the filo pastry sheet inwards or roll out an extra sheet to cover the top.
- Prick with a fork all over, drizzle with more olive oil and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F
For a spicier flavor you can add GAEA Mixed Olives in the filling of the pie, if all this seems much follow our video of this recipe here, Spinach and Fennel pie video