It is a myth that you should not use olive oil for frying, in fact it is the best oil to use due to its high polyphenols that stick to the food you are frying, in addition the smoking point of Olive oil is 375°F, 50°F higher than other oils, what is most amazing however about cooking with olive oil is that your food has this amazingly rich olive oil flavour and golden colour, these fried mullets are the ultimate example.
- TIME NEEDED
- 30 mins
- 1kg (35oz.) clean and gutted Red Mullets
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 cups Gaea Olive oil for cooking
- 2 lemons
- Place the olive oil in a deep frying pan and place on high heat
- Rinse the mullets well
- Place the flour in a flat plate and cover each mullet with flour on both sides
- Once the olive oil has reached 340°F place half the mullets in the pan and fry until crispy and deep orange on the outside and move to a paper towel lined plate, whilst frying the rest of the batch.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and enjoy immediately
You can also make a vinaigrette with Extra Virgin olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and oregano and have to the ready to drizzle with it after.